Overseas Travel

Overseas Travel

If travelling abroad with your pet you will need to follow certain rules depending on what country you are visiting.

The rules for taking pets to EU countries or Northern Ireland have now changed.  When travelling to these countries your pet needs to have:

  • a microchip

  • a valid rabies vaccination – for their first rabies vaccination pets must be at least 12 weeks old and then have to wait 21 days before they can travel

  • tapeworm treatment – only for dogs travelling to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Malta. This must be carried out and certified by a vet between one and five days before travelling

  • a valid animal health certificate (AHC) – EU Pet Passports that were issued in Great Britain are no longer valid, while those issued in Northern Ireland and the EU with up to date rabies cover still are

Animal Health Certificates

In order to comply with current government legislation your vet will need to examine your animal in order to provide a valid AHC. This needs to be done no more than 10 days before travel and the certificate needs to be signed by an official veterinarian.

Your pet’s AHC will be valid after the date of issue for:

  • 10 days for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland

  • Four months for onward travel within the EU

  • four months for re-entry to Great Britain

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland.

Please visit gov.uk to check the rules of the country you are travelling to for any additional requirements or extra restrictions.

Data correct according to gov.uk as of 09/02/2021.